Wednesday 20 April 2011

A Review of A Scent by Issey Miyake

Notice something missing?

Issey Miyake fragrances (in particular the men's L'Eau d'Issey) are ones that I like, but up until now, I didn't like them on me. I remember having a brief test of A Scent by Issey Miyake when it first came out thinking I quite like it and it could be a green scent I could actually wear as typically, these types don't work very well on me, so I was happy to be given the opportunity to try this out properly.

I was immediately taken by the bottle and I do like gazing at it's beautiful simplicity and the way it catches the light. Even the fragrance inside is not disturbed aesthetically by a spray tube as it is virtually invisible (at first I thought it wasn't there but looking closely there is a faint trace of it and it leaves me wondering how do they do that?).

A Scent is described as a green, floral, woody fragrance, with  Verbena as a top note, heart notes of Hyacinth and Jasmine, and Galbanum as a base note.

When I spray it I get an initial sharpness of an unusual, slightly leafy green, fresh sort of scent that quickly stops short of becoming too much as the woody quality softens this element down with me barely able to get a hint of the Verbana (I had hoped to get a bit more of a hit of this). This quickly disappears on me within in a few minutes and I then get the main woody, slightly floral part which has a subtle nod to a petal floral (unfortunately I don't get the Jasmine) and then dries down after a short time on me as something maybe akin to grass and tree bark. I think the Galbanum probably gives it that slightly musky hint mixed with a green element.

Overall this scent isn't very long-lasting on me, I get about 1-2 hours wear from it as the initial notes fade quite quickly with the base lingering rather faintly. Despite this there is something about it I quite like as it is kind of foresty, and it doesn't turn into something unpleasant which I find can happen on me with these types of scents.


There is a special offer currently on A Scent over at Escentual.com, with over 45% off the RRP with the 30ml at £16.50, 50ml at £25.00 and the 100ml at £33.50. 

Disclosure: This fragrance was sent to me without charge for review consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment