Monday, 16 August 2010

No7 Autumn 2010 Haul

No7 as a brand has not really appealed to me much before, even though I like Keeley Hawes I find the adverts a bit snooty, but ever since seeing the video of Lisa Eldridge (who is absolutely fabulous) on YouTube showing the new autumn collection, I was eager to see this on counter as it looked like a promising collection.


For me it didn't disappoint, the packaging looks sleek and the snake skin touches look quite chic rather then tacky. I bought several items - the Colour Rebellion Eye Palette (LE) which is an absolute bargain at £10.50, the Smoky Eyeliner (LE) (£9.50) and the Soft Matte Lipstick in Plum Rebellion (LE) (£9.75). I also bought a Speed Dry Nail Colour in Beautifully Black (£6.75), and the new Exceptional Definition mascara that has just launched that I am going to do a separate review of (£12). I had 5 of the £5 off No7/Ruby & Millie vouchers so 3 of the items I saved £5 on each and the others I spent on Ruby & Millie which I will post about later. Boy do I love Boots, they are generous folk!

Here is the eye palette (individual shade names are indigo blue, purple haze, red lead and chrome green):

with flash
natural light


The smoky eyeliner which has an interesting nib:


and the Plum Rebellion Lipstick:



Swatches L-R Plum Rebellion lipstick, Smoky eyeliner, purple haze, red lead, chrome green and indigo blue):

natural light

with flash
 
The Colour Rebellion Eye Palette: these eyeshadows are quite smooth but not buttery as some high-end shadows, still very decent considering the price. They blend well and are quite versatile because the colour can be built up to get very good payoff. The colours have a nice sheen that isn't overtly shimmery or glitzy and can also be used wet as well. The casing itself is a good size made with sturdy black plastic and the snakeskin effect is not a cheap sticker, rather it feels like maybe a synthetic leather? and has a clear gloss texture pattern applied on top that you can catch in the light. I am really impressed with the detail gone into this and was surprised when I found it was £10.50 as I was expecting to pay more. Definite thumbs up!

The Smoky Eyeliner is an interesting idea and one I don't think I've seen in another brand as the soft nibbed, straight applicator really makes this easy to use and one swipe gives a lovely charcoal black smoky line with a good level of pigment. I thought the applicator may cause fall-out when applying but that is not the case with this.

The Soft Matte Lipstick is a gorgeous deep berry shade, great for the coming season and well pigmented but not fully opaque matt as the name would suggest. It is slightly transparent and has a sheen which I like because being a bit shy of bright red lips this doesn't look as scary on. The texture feels quite creamy and fairly moisturising, and fades quite evenly.

Overall I really like the collection, it's small but each piece has been very well considered and are of good quality. This has definitely made me more interested in No7 and I look forward to seeing what they have in store for the future.

1 comment:

  1. those eyeshadows look so pretty! love the green!

    ReplyDelete